Monday, May 24, 2004
recipe by Cordon Vert School
Gourmet Dinner Starter
Makes 4 individual tarts (or one large tart)
Prep Time: 25 mins.
Cooking Time: 15 mins
8 oz - can Pillsbury original puff pastry (vegan)
4 oz - quark (a soft, spreadable German cream cheese (slightly tangy) (for vegan version use dairy free soft cheese)
1-9 oz - canned artichoke hearts in brine (rinsed and drained)
2 tsp - sun dried tomato paste
1 - medium egg yolk, beaten*
3 oz - tomatoes
4 - pitted black olives
1 oz - wild rocket, or mixed herb leaves
1 tsp - balsamic vinegar
1 tsp - capers, rinsed
1 tsp - extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp - fresh mint
* for Vegan version omit and brush with a little olive oil
1. Heat the oven to 200°C (392º F)
2. Cut out four circles from the pastry (approximately 4 ½" dia.) and place on a lightly greased baking sheet, or in a 4 portion Yorkshire pudding tray. Using a pastry brush, brush the edges of pastry with the beaten egg yolk.
3. Mix together in a food processor, quark, 1/2 artichoke hearts and the sun dried tomato paste into a smooth paté. Spread over the pastry base up to the egg washed border.
4. Cut the remaining artichoke hearts into quarters and arrange in a fan on the paté, alternating with the tomatoes. Add an olive into the centre and bake for 15 minutes until pastry is golden.
5. Finely chop the mint, leaving several leaves in thin slices for garnish. Combine with the balsamic vinegar, capers and olive oil and toss with the rocket.
6. To serve, divide salad between four plates and place tarts on top while still warm.